Chuck and Jet happy hollidays

Chuck and Jet happy hollidays

Monday, June 9, 2014

Riding lesson and an update!

Okay so Friday night of last week was fun, Friday we all went camping with my step mom and my dad (all and i mean ALL of my family gets along, all 4 of my parents are friends, us kids don't always get along, but thats the same for any family. So we got to the camp ground, we rode around played some volleyball, and made smores and hot dogs, and then went to bed, around 11 at night my dad woke us up and said we were going home, the camper had faulting wires so at any moment it could potentially start on fire, so we packed everything back up and my dad dropped Roni and I off at home, we got up for our lesson the next morning and it was a fun lesson, I rode Mav again, I havn't ridden him for the past two lessons, so over a month, and Mavrick is one of the horses that is a little harder to work with, he has trouble comming off the rail, and having a consistant speed, we rode with a diffrent group than normal, and no im not complaining, I love riding diffrent or challenging horses because it makes me a better rider, Mavrick needs a firm rider with a firm but gentle hand, he gets fussy if he cant have guidance from both sides of the bit, but then all week he is ridden by less experienced riders he gets very hesitant to canter, because as soon as they canter him they tighten the reins up to the point where it is very uncomfortable, so he needs a gentle contact for that, after our lesson was over, we hung out a bit, then we were leaving and a girl (i dont even know her name was trying to load up Harmony into a trailer which was pretty small, and she had already had trouble loading her into a big trailer, and that horse wouldn't go in at all, they tried everything we tried to help, after a bit we just gave her her space and she spent a little over an hour trying to get her in after that, roni and I talked with Erica and watched her Erica is a good friend from our barn who owns Clover whos sire is an amazing show jumper she is also in ffa and we all got to talking about it and horses, and she is going to horse judging tomorrow as am I she is also going to COLT (Chapter Officer Leadership Team-building) and so am I so I asked her what she was, and she said Reporter How ironic! I went back in and helped the last lesson of the day untack groom and turn out, then we left, Nick had addressed the girls father and told him that the horse didn't have a trailering issue, it had a respect issue and told him how to use Clintons trailering method to train and work with Harmony on that....
After that we came home and I laid down cause I was tired from he night before and we had talked about going to brushy, and then nick came down later and said get all the horse stuff packed up, i yellped and rolled off the couch lol roni and I had almost everything back by the time he had gone to my dads and gotten a trailer and skidloader (to get posts for our new round pen) and came back we left, that Night we got there and we realized all the stuff we had forgoten.. lighter.... flyspray..... I forgot my clothes..... anything to help start the fire like paper or kindling..... and ya, there was a family a few sites down, there was a little boy maybe only 4 years old, walking and he stopped on the road with his mom and started pointing at the horses, Roni and I had been walking that way to get water, so I stopped and dropped my bucket and went over to them and said "you want to come see my horsies?" he nodded his head and his mom said thanks so they came over and petted Chuck who is the only one I trust yet around kids that young, and his mom picked him up so he could pet him on his head and neck, we did that and his mom and I talked she asked about all 3 of the horses and how old they were and how they were trained and all that other stuff, and they said thank you and continued on their walk....
Roni and I tacked up Jack and Chuck and went over to the arena, we worked with the horses for awhile, I saw through the trees a black thing stream by, and at first I thought it had been a bird, but then I heard Nick scream alisha! and I cantered chuck to the gate, somehow (I still dont know how I got chuck to do it cause I tried it later and couldn't do it again) got Chuck to go up to and let me open the gate and trotted back into the camp ground, Jet had gotten loose because Nick put him in the trailer to go to the bathroom, but the front escape door was open, so Jet went around the divider and jumped 3 feet down to the ground through a little escape door, he ran to the people who had come to see the horses earlier camp sight, Nick met them over there and they laughed it off with us, so nick took him back over and we went back to the arena, after we were done we went back to the campsite, nick had a fire going we untacked and went and gave the horse a bath at the horse washing station, then we went back and made hotdogs over the fire with random sticks nick found and cut with his hunting knife and burnt, and we had marshmallows cheetos and cookies, then Roni took Jack and I took Jet over to the arena and did ground work till it was dark, after that we came back and ate marshmallows and went to bed, the sucky part was we forgot to bring anything else to lay on, and the bottom of the tent was very cold, so by the end of the night we were huddled together cause it was only 52 degrees and all we had were little blankets, I woke up constantly throughout the night and the last time I woke up was at 3:30, I laid there untill 4, then I got up and went out and restarted the fire and made my breakfast, (hot dogs and marshmallows) then I woke roni up at 5 and she made her food and then we got the horses out of the trailer and gave them their breakfast, Nick woke up at 5:30 and we all got woke up and warm, we all got tacked up, Nick rode Chuck Roni rode Jack with my english saddle and I rode Jet, we went to the arena and all went well, Jet kicked up because he didn't want to canter, but in the end we got      5-6 strides of a good canter even though it was on the wrong lead, nick was so funny because he hasn't ridden chuck at all for a long time, so he was having so much fun on chuck because he could use leg cues on him, then Nick took Jet and I gave Chuck a good workout with lots of cantering, then Nick took Jet and Chuck back to the site and I stayed with roni and helped her with Jack, she had been having troubles at the mounting block, so she tried and backed him probably at least 10 times, I told her she needed to be firm and short, she had improved but not enough to keep him still, I went over to him and It only took me backing him up 3 times before he stood quietly for me, I got up and down from the mounting block several times, told Roni to do it with him and he stood quietly that time, roni rode him around a bit, and then I hopped on and he did good I asked for a canter and he did one good circle, then tried to bolt, I pulled him to a one rein stop cause the saddle was slipping, I had stopped him to the right, as soon as I let him go, he bolted to the left and the saddle went sideways and my head went straight into the ground (my neck is still sore :(  ) and after that I caught him and lunged him, he decided to be silly and rip the rope out of my hand, so we got the lunge line, then he decided to be silly again, and with the lunge line ran straight in the opposite direction at a full gallop and ripped the bridle right off his face, we caught him again and put the lunge line right around his neck and he did good for a bit but then again decided to be disrespectful and run again, that ended with me being dragged for a bit on my back and side and I hopped up and we had a come to Jesus meeting, Nick yelled at us to come back cause we were getting ready to leave, I backed him all the way back to the campsite and then we stood there and he was going to pay attention to and respect me, everytime he wasn't giving my 2 eyes we backed, every time he tried to eat he backed, roni lets him get away with it, but its not something I will put up with when a horse tries to pull the rope out of your hand to eat, when you have their respect you can get away with it, but roni hasn't gotten his respect yet, even if he doesn't respect her, he WILL respect me as goes with all horses I work with, I don't care if they love me, heck they can even hate me, but the MUST respect me, then I went over to put his halter back on and he kept throwing his head up and tring to avoid it, so when he did that I backed him up again, after about 3 times he decided it was easier to stand to be haltered than running backwards.....
we made it home just in time to see pearl leave, they had a 2 horse slant trailer and she was too fat to fit in it! they had to move the divider over and tie it up because she was to fat for it to latch into place so they tied it over, and later that day I had a 4-H meeting and I presented with seymore (our umbrella cockatoo) and I was waiting to be the last one to go, I waited to see if anyone else would volenteer when nobody did I assumed I was the only one left, went through my presentation let everyone pet seymore and put him back in his cage my mom had been with him in the truck throughout the whole first part of the meeting, and presentations are last, so I felt so bad because once seymore got back in his cage he decided he needed to keep talking, and everyone was staring and giggling at seymore while this other kid was presenting and I felt so bad!
Here are a few pictures of pearl and her new owner....
When Alexis tried Pearl at my grandmas

another at my grandmas

Pearls first afternoon at her new home

A picture of Alexis and her first ride on Pearl in her new home they did tons and Pearl did great!

No comments:

Post a Comment