Chuck and Jet happy hollidays

Chuck and Jet happy hollidays

Monday, July 21, 2014

New Horse Update....

Okay, so new horse, were all calling him Chance already, so were thinking we will name him that :)
He is an older horse, who (from what we have been told) came off a working ranch in Oklahoma... the lady who had him had gotten him in February, and adjusting he had to have a blanket going from 60 degree temps to 0 degrees.... he didn't have the time to grow a winter coat.... like I said he is an older horse, around 30, but with the right care he could be around for quite a few more years :)
he was offered on our states horse page, the person only wanted $150 for him, but in the end she just gave him to us, the lady had a lot of horses and her husband gave her the ultimatum and said she had to get rid of all her horses and dogs.... she tries to rescue horses, but didn't have the funds to support it, she had him, a mare and foal, her paint, a soral gelding, and at least one other horse, so we took him off her hands, my mom went and looked at him, but my mom isn't really horse savy, so Roni, Nick, Alex and I went over there later that day, he was having his hooves done, and he was really well behaved the paint mare on the other hand needed an attitude adjustment, rearing for the farrier is not a good habit to practice..... so we said we would get back to him, we talked about it on the way home, and we decided we would give him a shot...... I had to drive the horse trailer (for the first time and its a gooseneck not some little itty bity 2 horse thing, we can fit 6 horses in it) and I was really happy with how well I did, for my 16th birthday I want to haul the horses to brushy and camp out with Roni by myself :)  anyways we got there and one of the ladys little girls was crying because she didn't want him to leave, the ladys older daughter went out and got him, and brought him up and handed him to me, I brought him out, I asked the little girl who was crying to load him up, so she could show me how good of a boy she was and she did I held him and she went out as nick closed the door, I let him loose and came out, and the little girls both got upset, so I told them to come back with me while Nick and the lady talked about a whole bunch of stuff.... so I opened up the escape door at the end of the trailer and Chance was sticking his head out and the girls were feeding him grass they picked and eventually the adults were done talking and I told them to give him goodbye kisses and they did, I told them, we only lived a little bit away and they could come see him when he was doing better and they said okay, gave him a few more bites of grass, and I closed up the door and we headed home, we brought him back and started cleaning his wounds and everything else... I will take a video when we care for him tonight and upload it.....  so far his only bad habits are he is scared of our fly sprayer (we use a pump farm sprayer) and he likes to rub his head on people....... I will post the video later tonight!!!

2 comments:

  1. So he is a rescue horse from Oklahoma? The reason he is in poor condition is because of lack of funds to care for him? He is an old fellow, hopefully he will be one of those that lives a decade more. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The people we got him from "rescued" him from Oklahoma in February, we got him 2 days ago..... Hes really not that old he may easily have 7-10 years left..... our 36 year old and 37 year old were able to go on trail rides and were in good physical health to the day they died..... we really think they were emotionally ready to go they both "fell" down a 12 foot river bank in a place where they had lived almost their whole lives..... and Chance sure does have some spunk to him, just doing simple things like flexing, yielding the hind quarters he learned quickly and he is actually quite energetic for his condition right now....

      Delete