Chuck and Jet happy hollidays

Chuck and Jet happy hollidays

Monday, August 25, 2014

Riding in the River

Hey guys so we all went riding yesterday! Nick supprised us, I asked if we could go ride, and he said sure I went and changed out of my sleep clothes and went outside and the trailer was hooked up! He told us to grab tack and we did, we got all the stuff loaded went out and grabbed Jack Jet and Chuck, loaded up and headed out, we went to brushy and got there and the sign said "multi-use trials closed" everything except the lake trail was closed due to being wet from recent rain which I think would have dried up by now..... but we had another back up plan that I though of on our way over there, so we drove down to my grandpa and grandmas house and we rode down the river! It was shallow enough where we the horses could walk through it but they still got a good work out from it, but the water also helped keep them cool. We have ridden in the river a little bit but not a whole ton, as you guys know, Chuck loves the water but he never tried to lay down and roll although he did splash the water with his legs and shake his face in the water, on average the water was about knee deep on the horses, but in some places was up to chest deep, thank goodness for tall horses and short legs because I only barely got my boots covered with water.... Roni on the other hand got wet almost up to her knees walking through there and Nick up to his ankles because Jet is tall :) we had a ton of fun on the way down, anyways we were getting close to an hour of riding and then the funniest thing happend!!!
Jack was walking along and then he hit a hole, I heard a splash and turned around to watch it all unfold! Jack tripped and went down on his knees (his head was still above water), Roni thought he just hit a deep part until he started to get up, then he kept trying to get up and he went down one more time and Roni came forward onto his neck and out of the saddle, she tried to hang on, but Jack was soaked and slippery and struggeling to get up and she couldn't so she came off right into water, completly under I was laughing so hard! Then to add insult to injury Jack just walked off while roni was still getting up and he started going back towards the farm, and Roni went to catch him and he started trotting! So I took off on Chuck to catch him and caught him a little ways up-river, then brought him back, Roni mounted back up and we headed off, then a little further Chuck fell in a hole and then he freaked out and tried to climb the river bank which is an almost verticle wall of dirt thats about 6 foot tall, he got part way up and started sliding backwards down the bank... I was leaning forward, I thought he might go over backwards! Scared the crap out of me, I tried to turn him to the side and he did a roll back (180 degree turn on the haunches without the front feed toutching the ground) and when he did he was facing the exact opposite, so going from straight up to straight down I slammed forward laying on his neck, I had enough time to get myself back sitting up and he tried to climb back up, I got him to turn and be sideways, and then I got off very carefully because it was so steep I led him back down into the water because there was no way in heck I was trying to ride him back down with how the mud was sliding out from under us, I turned him so I was a little uphill and could get on easier and hopped back on and we continued our ride, we went a little further and then turned around because we had been going for awhile.... the ride back was pretty uneventful other than Jet had a fish jump right infront/under him but he didn't care, we got back to my grandpas sandbar and we took saddles off and set them on a fallen tree on the sandbar, and walked the horses out into the water and they didn't really do much.... then we just put the saddles back on and walked them back, we hosed them off and got everything packed up and put them in the trailer and spent awhile talking to my grandpa, and Roni ate strawberries from the garden and then we went home...... it was a really fun ride, I'll get some videos up later tonight (maybe) I have an FFA meeting and can't wait to welcome all the new members this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment